Posted on: December 26th, 2014 by Geoff Montes in Filling Stations: (More) Restaurants in Former Garages
In the Winter 2015 issue of Preservation, we feature three restaurants housed in former of gas stations and garages. We rounded up four other former filling stations around the country offering full-service flavor.
202 W. Main St.
Northville, MI 48167
$$ | American
Brothers Mark and Bill Evasic began redeveloping this 1939 gas station in downtown Northville, Michigan, in February 2012. Originally designed by architecture firm Ron and Roman of Birmingham, Michigan, the gas station was operated initially by Gulf Oil and later Sunoco.
“When it was a gas station, they also had a small barber shop in the corner for many years,” says Mark. After the Sunoco shuttered, a series of businesses opened and closed in the space, including a Chrysler dealership, dry cleaner, and a garden shop.
The 2012 renovation process was extremely thorough and lasted about ten months, during which the interior walls were reconfigured, new floors and windows were put in, and the dining spaces and kitchen were built out. The main dining room can now accommodate up to 75 people, and around 40 at the bar. In addition, there’s an 80-seat banquet room in the back of the garage that comes equipped with its own entrance, lobby, 120-inch projection TV, and fully-restored vintage Ford Model A from the 1930s.
The establishment pays homage to its roots with an enormous 28’ x 7’ mural painted by Detroit artist Darcel Deneau that depicts the building when it was a Gulf Oil station, with cityscapes of Northville and Detroit on the ends. The Evasics also retained the garage doors, which opens in the summer months, providing patrons with a warm breeze and a connection to the spacious patio. Popular menu items include calamari, shrimp tacos, bacon-wrapped pork tenderloins, and meatloaf.
For other Filling Station Restaurant, please CLICK HERE